Grinding noise - rear motor fried (not, just a loose phase wire!)

Antworten
gungadin
Roller: E-Odin 2.0
PLZ: OX
Land: anderes Land
Grinding noise - rear motor fried (not, just a loose phase wire!)

Beitrag von gungadin »

This week I lost power whilst driving on the highway on my e-Odin 2.0 (branded as Thelmoco Fasta 6000 here in the UK). I pulled in to the side of the road, switched off the power, and switched on again. There was a grinding noise from the rear wheel, and then... nothing. Power to the dashboard, a full battery, but no movement from the rear wheel. Then, a repeated set of 11 beeps from the Electronic Control Unit. I had to push the bike to a safe place for a recovery truck to pick it up, but the rear wheel has now become very difficult to turn so it was much heavier than usual.

:shock:

The Fardriver Controller manual says that 11 beeps means "The phase line is short-circuited, or the motor is faulty". I think that the motor has burnt out, and am now trying to get a replacement. The UK importer for Dayi - THELMOCO - has gone out of business, and because of Brexit, Madat Shop and Gran-Scooter do not want to deliver to the UK.

Anyone, any ideas? I know that Jeff Jordan suggested some different combinations of rear motor and controller, would that be worth a try given that I have to dismantle most of the bike to put the new motor in? Thanks!

jeff-jordan
Roller: Classico LI & Z-Odin
PLZ: 6
Tätigkeit: Dem Inschenjöhr is nix zu schwöhr...
Re: Grinding noise - rear motor fried

Beitrag von jeff-jordan »

gungadin hat geschrieben:
Sa 12. Aug 2023, 15:46
...but the rear wheel has now become very difficult to turn so it was much heavier than usual.
That's a real sign of a short somewhere between the phase lines. :roll:

First thing I would check are the 3 coloured (yellow, green, blue) power cables between motor and controller.
We had someone reporting broken cables, with the possibility of a shortcut.

Then: disconnect the cables between controller and motor (avoid a shortcut between the ring terminals) and check whether the motor then turns easy, or if there is still a heavy resistance.

If it turns easy now, the shortcut seems to be inside the controller, if not, the search continues :arrow: .

Next idea would be to disassemble the motor and remove the stator (but beware of the strong magnetic forces, they are powerful enough to crush some fingers). :roll:
If there is a shortcut somewhere between the enamelled copper wires inside the motor, you should be able to determine the location by a visual inspection.

If the problem really is the motor itself, you might get in contact with DavidSt (send him a PN, which you can do after your 3rd posting).
But be patient, actually he is rarely online.
As far as I understood, he works for a company that refurbishes electric motors and he seems to have the best knowledge here about the inside of the motor of our E-Odin.
Depending on your skills, he might help you to repair the motor.

Btw. Have you asked our Czech friends, if they still trade with the UK?
Zuletzt geändert von jeff-jordan am Do 17. Aug 2023, 01:09, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Classico Li 05/2020 9 000+ km & Z-Odin 12/2021 18 500+ km :idea:

gungadin

Beitrag von gungadin »

Thank you! These are incredibly useful suggestions. :D

If it turns out to be only a short on the phase cables, that would be the dream - but the strange noise from the motor makes me suspect something more serious.

I will check the phase cables for shorts; disconnect them from the controller; then dismantle the motor (taking care of my fingers!). Also will check with X-Scooter whether they can deal with the UK.

It will take me a few days to find the time to do this, but I will report back how I get on. I'm already missing my e-Odin!!

gungadin

Beitrag von gungadin »

This story has a happy ending.

I finally got around to dismantling the bike today. It turned out that the yellow phase wire was loose on the ECU. Once all the connections had been tightened up, the electronic brake lifted, the 11 beeps stopped and the bike sprang back into life. The rear motor was not fried, just partially disconnected.
:D :D :D

MEroller
Roller: Zero S 11kW ZF10.5/erider Thunder (R.I.P)
PLZ: 7
Tätigkeit: Entwickler (Traktionsbatterie)

Beitrag von MEroller »

Congratulations - what a great Christmas present you have made for yourself :D
Zero S 11kWZF10.5
e-rider Thunder 5000: Ruht in Frieden

Antworten

Zurück zu „Dayi Motors“